Valuation and Fair Value Accounting
Valuation is an important task for research analysts, investment bankers, auditors and accountants, corporate finance specialists, merger and acquisition analysts, venture capitalists, and individual investors.
This course provides both a sound theoretical framework for valuation and a practical guide to how valuations are actually done in the real world.
Development of valuation skills entails understanding the concepts and procedures underlying generally accepted accounting principles used to prepare financial information.
This course can no longer be taken as part of the Master in accounting and auditing.
- Fundamental analysis - the process
- The reformulation of the income statement and balance sheet
- Introduction to industry and company analysis
- Cost of capital
- Valuation techniques
- Discounted dividend valuation
- DCF valuation
- Relative valuation
- Acquisition analysis
- Fair value accounting in IFRS, e.g.
- Fair value measurement - IFRS 13
- Purchase price allocation - IFRS 3
- Revaluation of PP&E - IFIAS 16
- Measurement of recoverable amounts - IFIAS 36
- Financial instruments - IFRS 9 and IAS 32
- Fair value for non-financial assets - IAS 40 & 42
The course has on-campus lectures beginning early in January. Most lectures are planned to be filmed.
Group mid-term assignment over a week, usually in February, and a 3-hour written exam under supervision, usually in March.
Group mid-term assignment over a week, usually in early September, and a 3-hour written exam under supervision, usually in September.
This course is taught in Norwegian and English.
A syllabus is available in the student portal for applicants who have been admitted to the programme. Username and password for the student portal will be sent to you before the start date.
The tuition fee is normally charged after the start of the semester. You will find the invoice under My invoice in the student portal.
Financing: The enrolment contract is made with you and not your employer, even if the employer pays for your studies.