The task of this course is to help understand the economics of the shipping industry. What makes it so special is the greate voatility in the industry and it is a perfect market for blending theory and practice. Because shipping is such an old and international indusrty, with a history of continous change, we have a unique oppertunity to learn from the past.
The essence of business administration includes corporate finance (i.e. investment and financing). Good knowledge within these areas is a necessary prerequisite to understand the economic content of investment and financing decisions. There is vital knowlegde for people working in the shipping industry. Further it is important to be able to obtain decision-relevant information, discuss and assess alternatives, make correct decisions and convey relevant and useful information.
The aim of this course in corporate finance in the shipping industry is to provide the students with essential knowledge and skills, so that they can take part in discussions on problems in finance and carry out simple analyses within the field, make correct decisions and communicate the results of the analyses in a comprehensible manner.
The course focuses mainly on capital structure in general, and capital sturcture in the shipping industry in particular and being able to make sustainable decissions.
1. Cost, Revenue and Cash Flows in the Shipping Industry, ch. 6 (MS)
2. Project analysis, ch. 10 (BMA)
3. Investment, Strategy and Economic Rents, ch. 11 (BMA)
4. Risk, Return and Shipping Company Economics, ch. 8 (MS)
5. Efficient Markets and Behavioral Finance, ch. 13 (BMA)
6. An overview of Corporate Finance, ch. 14 (BMA)
7. How Corporations Issue Securities, ch. 15 (BMA)
8. Pay-out Policy, ch. 16 (BMA)
9. Does Deby Policy matter?, ch. 17&18 (BMA)
10. Financing Ships and Shipping Companies, ch. 7 (MS)
11. Financing and Valuation, ch. 19 (BMA)
Dette er et utdrag fra den komplette kursbeskrivelsen for kurset. Dersom du er aktiv student på BI, kan du finne de komplette kursbeskrivelsene med informasjon om bl.a. læringsmål, læreprosess, pensum og eksamen på portal.bi.no. Vi tar forbehold om endringer i denne beskrivelsen.